All About Car Insurance In UK

Car Insurance In UK

Just like in the United States, there are the legal requirements to think of that concerns car insurance in the UK. Expect the transport department of the UK government to be very strict when it comes to their motoring laws. As a driver, you must be aware of the legalities that come with car insurance.

What is needed if you want to apply for car insurance in UK?

  1. The first thing you need to do is have the car registered. It is against the law to drive a car that is not duly registered with the DVLA. It is also a prerequisite before you can apply for car insurance.
  2. The second issue a car owner must be sure of is the capability of the car to be driven on the road. You will be required to produce a certification from the Ministry of Transport when applying for a new policy. MOT certificate is usually a prerequisite for cars that have been used for over a period of three years.
  3. Your road tax on the insured car must be updated. Insurance companies will deny you of car insurance once they find out that you have no proof of payment on the road tax.

What are the requirements in order to be able to drive in UK?

The most basic requirement of different car insurance companies from their customers would be that the details given are correct and true. If there are changes in any information that can affect your policy, then you must be able to inform the company right away. If you are unable to update your insurance company, this gives them the right to revoke the policy and declare it to be null and void. This means that claims will not be given.

The law states that the least policy you should purchase is the third party car insurance. It is illegal to drive without the mandated policy. You are insured against any injuries to other people including damages to other properties as well. This set up was designed so that you shoulder the liability against other people when you are the one at fault.

If you will be travelling abroad, certain countries will ask you to carry a green card. This is an internationally accepted document which shows that your insurance at least meets the minimum requirements of the country you are visiting. If you are travelling within Europe, there is no need for the green card since most countries have the same requirement like that of UK. It a good idea however to always have with you your certificate of insurance and check with your insurer if you would be getting the same coverage if you are out of the country.

Car insurance laws in UK

The first car insurance law was made in 1930 and it specified that any person who drives a car should have at least third party personal injury coverage. Later on, the car insurance law was known as the Road Traffic Act (RTA) and it states that:

  1. Car owners are held responsible for their own cars including in the event that another driver borrows the car and is involved in an accident.
  2. Third party insurance against liabilities is compulsory for all vehicle owners.
  3. The policyholder should not allow the usage of his car by another person. He should only do so if the assigned driver has a car insurance policy.

The legality of car insurance policy

The terms and conditions presented in your car insurance policy are recognized in court. It is a proof that you indeed bought a car insurance policy and you are responsible for it. The motoring laws of UK will allow authorities such as the traffic police to ask the driver to present a copy of the insurance policy when needed. If you are unable to produce a copy, this will be taken against you as a legal offense. It can lead to penalties such as:

  1. Getting an HORT/1-Home Office Road Traffic Form 1 (HORT/1) is given to drivers who are incapable of producing car insurance policy and test certificate. Once this has been issued, the driver is given a chance to redeem himself and produce the documents at the police station a week after.
  2. Being sued in court- You may be facing a prosecution in a court of law if you were unable to produce the needed documents.